A scant 11 years ago, the global financial system teetered on the edge of catastrophe.
With the coordinated efforts of the major central banks, the global economy had risen like the phoenix these past 10 years. Yet the benefits from this recovery have not been shared equally among all people. The crisis had also inspired many innovative ideas that could address many of the weaknesses hidden in the current financial systems: services for the poor, technologies for developing economies, adaptation to automation, capital formation for SMEs, secure global supply chain, efficient global payments, and proper roles for regulations and standardization.
In 2017, the Asian Financial Society created a Fintech start-up pitch contest, the AFS alpha Award (AaA). We have been honored to work with many world class innovators and investors from around the world and created many fruitful partnerships. This year AFS is seizing this critical time to explore many opportunities and threats to the global and local financial systems arising from disruptive Fintech. This expanded conference will bring together global leaders, innovators, investors, and professionals active in Fintech industry as well as regulators to share experiences and explore productive pathways toward adoption of effective Fintech innovation. Complementary to the global perspectives, the alpha Award will showcase and acknowledge individuals championing Fintech business of today.
The conference will be held on November 18th, 2019. It features keynotes, presentations, interactive dialogues, and panel discussions focusing on different perspectives on Fintech in the morning. AaA competition contestants will deliver their pitches to judges in the afternoon followed by the award ceremony in the evening.
Sustainable Economy in the New Era of Fintech Innovation
Avery Starr – Session Chair, Managing Director of Seatig Inc.
Fintech and Community Bank: Disruption and Opportunity
Jinfeng Tang – Session Chair, Chief Operating Officer of Loan Transactions & Technology (LT&T)
Where We Stand in Trade’s Digital Evolution: Blockchain, AI, and Big Data
Alisa DiCaprio – Session Chair, Head of Trade and Supply Chain of R3
Standards in the Face of Fintech Disruption and Regulatory Response
Jim Northey, Co-Session Chair, Chairperson at ISO TC68 Technical Committee Financial Services
Bill Nichols, Co-Session Chair, Senior Advisor Information Architecture and Innovation, Office of Financial Research, US Department of the Treasury
Arnold Chu, Session Chair, Treasurer of AFS
Evening Award Ceremony
Keynote Speech by Robert Jackson, SEC Commissioner
AaA Fintech Competition
The AaA receives competition applications from around the world every year, and the title of “AaA Fintech Company of the Year” is selected by a group of renowned experts and investors in the Fintech industry. AaA contestants will have the chance to present their business ideas to investors and professionals of the AFS community.
The goal of AaA is to acknowledge the innovations that disrupt the status quo in financial services and identify exceptional and investable Fintech companies and Fintech entrepreneurs. There are the following categories of AaA awards:
- Title of “AaA Fintech Company of 2019” goes to the winner of the competition.
- Title of “AaA Fintech Top Five 2019” are the selected five finalists entering the competition.
- The Committee of AaA elects one company every year that has been the trailblazer in a particular sector of Fintech for “AaA Pinnacle Enterprise” award.
- The Committee of AaA each year identifies fearless entrepreneurs as movers and shakers to advance the world and humanity forward through Fintech innovations. “AaA Kirin Entrepreneur” award will be given to such entrepreneurs.
The competition will be held in the afternoon and all awards will be announced in the evening award ceremony.
We welcome entrepreneurs of all types, Fintech start-ups of all sizes and stages to join us in finding the inspiration, resources, and friends that will make them successful.
- Recognition by a consortium of Wall Street organizations who are members of the AaA community and the global Fintech market place.
- Publicity and marketing through the AaA committee to help reach a wide array of potential customers.
- Potential funding opportunities from AaA judges, participating investors, and thousands of AFS’s Wall Street Professionals.
- Selected presenting company will get one free pass to the conference.
- “AaA Fintech Company of 2019” Title and AaA Statuette.
- Speaking opportunities at the AFS Annual Awards Gala as well as Fintech conferences where AaA is a partner.
- Winner of “AaA Fintech Company of the Year” will also receive pivotal opportunity to secure VC funding.
Application Deadline is September 20th 2019. Five (5) startups will be selected to enter the competition. The selected finalists will be announced on October 10th, 2019. The competition will be held on November 18th, 2019 in New York in front of a panel of judges. Winners will be announced at the evening award ceremony.