Being a founder can be daunting, even when you have co-founders for support. Assembling a Board of Directors is key to supplementing the expertise and talent of your founding team!
Your board can be just as much a factor in your startup’s long-term success as your co-founders and early employees. A well-considered board can boost your credibility and more importantly, offer you the information you wouldn’t have otherwise. From fundraising and problem solving to networking and hiring, building and managing your board is an important aspect of your startup journey.
Join us on January 15th for a panel discussion about the role of the board at a startup.
- Legal and logistical elements of a board
- How to “build” an effective board
- How to maximize the value of board meetings
- How founders can best leverage their board to help with growth
- How the board evolves as the company grows
About the speakers
- Keith Smith is the Co-founder and CEO of Payability, a fintech company that provides financing and payment solutions to eCommerce sellers. Payability funds thousands of eCommerce businesses every day. Its patented technology utilizes machine learning algorithms to underwrite customers based on sales quality and historical eCommerce performance – rather than simply looking at personal credit scores. Previously, Keith founded and ran multiple startups, including; CyberMortgage, Zango, and BigDoor. Keith lends his time to early-stage startups via Techstars and serves as an adviser, investor, and board member for multiple tech startups. Payability was recently listed #97 on the Inc. 5000 and on Inc.com’s list of the 10 hottest companies in New York City.
- Benoit Vatere is the founder and CEO of Mammoth Media, the mobile entertainment studio bringing original short-form content in interactive formats to Generation Z, and is the company behind the top-performing apps Yarn, Wishbone and Booknotes. In his role, Benoit brings years of experience in the intersection of technology, entertainment and monetization and oversees the strategic vision and execution of the company. Prior to Mammoth Media (formerly known as Science Mobile), Benoit served as CEO and General Manager of Playhaven, a mobile gaming monetization platform that employed deep user segmentation. He was also VP of Distribution Network at LookSmart, where he managed distribution of online media and an executive team that conceptualized all new product initiatives and validated marketing needs. Additionally, he co-founded technology companies magnify360 and Popular.fr.
- Sara Shikhman is CEO at Lengea, where practical legal and business solutions are offered with a keen understanding of the unique challenges and opportunities a growing business faces. Lengea’s expertise stems from personal, real-world experience and the team has worked as entrepreneurs and in-house counsel for over 12 years. Sara is a legal and business expert specializing in healthcare, beauty, tech, and e-commerce. She loves to help companies creatively solve their legal and business issues.
- Angela Galardi Ceresnie is the CEO of Climb Credit, an education finance company that evaluates the return on investment of education programs and helps consumers find, evaluate, and finance these programs to increase their earning potential. She joined Climb as the Chief Operating Officer in 2016 and quickly helped shape the operations, culture, and future of the Climb, earning her the role of CEO in 2018. Prior to Climb, Angela co-founded and was COO/CFO of Orchard Platform—a provider of software and data products offered to institutional investors to purchase loans from marketplace lenders [acquired by Kabbage]. Before her time at Orchard, she spent 9 years running credit risk analytics teams at American Express and Citibank where she made billions of dollars’ worth of data-driven credit decisions.
6:30 – 6:50: Drinks & Networking
6:50 – 7:50: Panel
7:50 – 8:15: Audience Q&A
8:15 – 9:00: More Drinks & Networking
Stacklist hosts startup events in NYC to help entrepreneurs learn from successful founders & experts. Previous speakers have included the founders of Greenhouse, Movable Ink, x.ai, and Techstars. You can find all of our past events and speakers here!
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Thanks to Alley powered by Verizon for hosting our event. Alley powered by Verizon locations are developed by Verizon, the world’s leading technology company, in collaboration with Alley, a membership-only community workspace for creators. Each location is a curated community powered by the emerging technologies and thought-leadership of Verizon.
Audio transcripts, videos and photos will be taken at the event. As an attendee, you acknowledge that such recordings, videos and photos may be used for promotional or marketing purposes.